Friday, November 2, 2012

And We're Off!!!!

Things I Want to Remember About the Last 24 hours....

I am writing in the Chicago Airport reflecting on the last day or so....
I want to remember the emotions I felt just hours ago, when saying goodbye to Will and my mom at the airport.  How every chamber of my heart felt so full of love for that little boy, so full of love for my brave older two kids and so full of love for a little girl who is calling for us across the world.  It was almost too much for me to bear...as though my heart might burst.  Will is heading to Charlotte for what will be extraordinary fun all for him in his honor until we return.  I held it together until he and my mom were inside the airport doors, cried and then focused on my other two as we went to our gate.  Carter and Claire are professionals...they look like little world travelers.  I really believe it is in their blood.  They love every aspect.

I have reflected on the great depth and complexity of a mother's heart today...how we hold and keep things for our children, how we ponder them in our heart.  The pure and raw love, protection and nurture a mother has for her children.  It is really hard to describe.  Dad's have it too, it just portrays itself in a different manner.  Just as strong but it taps into things that a mom can't.  It was designed that way.

I used to not be a world traveler, but have become a bit more (ok, a ton more) freed up over the years and I am actually enjoying travel in the last several years way more than I ever did before.   I am thankful that Cory brings that sense of adventure to our family and that it is in our gene pool with our children.  When we talked about adopting even as far back as twelve years ago, I remember feeling pretty adamant that Cory could go by himself to get the child and that I would stay behind with the others.  That seems crazy to me now but years ago I was gripped with fear.  I am thanking God today that I am about to get on a plane in a few short hours to go somewhere that I was scared to go to before.   Now I am going with confidence, not in myself, but in Who made me and Who goes before me.  I was made to go there.  

The feeling I had today as we packed everything up, checked it twice and left to start this amazing journey was very similar to the feeling that I had when I went to the hospital to get a new knee.  Right before the surgery when I could barely walk, I remember thinking that if I got better, I would want to see the world.  To walk on the Great Wall!!  That surgery should have felt scary and traumatic, but it just wasn't.  So many details that were out of my hands and so many unknowns.  As I tried to pinpoint today where this familiar emotion came from, I remembered that the common denominator was the fact that both events were just completely bathed in prayer.  Covered and immersed in prayer.  I have felt as if I have glided through the day in great peace beyond myself.  It is as if the gravity of what we are doing can't be weighty...we know that God has gone before us and paved the way and that is more than enough.

I want to remember that sweet prayer time with my mom, kids and Cory in the middle of our living room.  I want to remember how she can still come into any situation (a crazy household scrambling to pack and get 3 children ready for 2 separate trips) and make it better, more fun, and more complete like only a mother can.   I want to remember the miraculous $500 that was brought to our door by the dearest of people this morning.  I want to remember 2 friends who helped us drive to the airport...their hugs and tears and their imprint on this journey.  I want to remember how peacefully we all slept last night, how a sweet friend came to meet my Mom and prayed for me, and how we had no words for the phone calls, emails, cards, facebook posts....no words to express how touched we are.  Just teary eyes as we try to wrap our minds around the miraculous provision and support.  I tried to read a card outloud this morning and just couldn't make it through.  Our hearts our full.   (and our bellies...we just had some pasta at the airport before we board in a couple of hours!)

Here are some really great pictures from today....you can guess who took them....my dear friend Amanda!  So glad we have pics to document the start of the journey...

                                             Look at that grin!!!!



Ready to travel....



Don't forget these...


Last time in front of our home as a family of 5!


If you have ever seen any good "mom" qualities in me, you can praise the lady I'm standing with here...


The most difficult part of the day...can't wait to see him soon!


Will and Grandma head to Charlotte for super fun!


hugs.....



My college roommate and I joked that the end must be near if I'm jetting off to China on my own free will to pick up a child that I've never met as my own.  Another sign of the times may be that I'm blogging.  In an airport!  ;)

Sweet dreams to you all...pray that we have that too on our very long next leg of the trip!  Much much love to you all....


3 comments:

  1. i know the look on your face as you hugged Will goodbye all too well. it is so hard to leave the little ones, isn't it! but leaving is the hardest part. then comes anticipation and excitement and then the big moment and then you just check off one day at a time and before you know it you are heading home. and Will will do great! it always surprised me how much fun the little ones had!
    erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claire, I miss you already! Our class wasn't the same without your sweet little self sitting in your desk on Friday. Please know that we are praying for you every single day. Have so much fun in China and we hope to see you on the computer next week! xox Mrs. Hodges

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving your blog. What an incredible experience for your family! Your words are beautiful, too. You're a natural blogger. :)

    ReplyDelete