Monday, November 12, 2012

Leaving Xi'an

Some thoughts as we leave Xi'an this afternoon....

Sweet Grace.  I was counting my blessings yesterday afternoon.  Carter and Claire were in the next room doing homework and Cory and I were laying sideways on the bed with Grace in between.  She was throwing herself on us, back and forth, laughing and giggling and playing peek a boo like we had known her all of her life.  Like our biological children did (and still do!) because they know it's safe and fun.  She is so silly...she would laugh and then laugh harder and THROW herself backwards in a dramatic fall, just trusting that one of us would catch her.  She took her sweater that was on the bed and threw it over our faces, just so she could take it off and hear us say, "BOO!"  Again, gut laughing and all sorts of antics.  We realized in the midst of our fun that this was such a gift.  We prayed that she would attach early and it would seem as "business as usual" to be in our family.  We all feel like she just knows she is one of us.  We had prepared our home and family back in Texas to maybe be a little quieter and more reserved for a while.  Nope.  This girl is loud.  She loves to hear her voice echo down the hall at 8am when we walk to breakfast and she is right in the mix with energy and antics!  Carter and Claire have successfully taught her "crazy dance" which the three of them enjoy regularly in the hotel lobby and she is slapping "high fives" to anyone who asks.  My favorite though is when she snuggles in while I'm carrying her and rests her head between the crook of my neck and shoulder and sighs that big relief sigh that this is home.  I also love when our eyes lock.  She loves to study our faces and I've been so thankful over how easily she can keep your gaze.  She will often wrinkle up her nose and laugh silly, but there are moments when she just stares and makes a cute little sound.  I love how God gave Cory the perfect daughter for him too.  She loves to play and be loud and have him throw her around.  I think Cory was prepared for that to take a while, but she has quickly warmed up to his boisterous playtime with enthusiasm.  The sweetest of gifts in this week here.

This week here that seemed so long at the beginning.  It is a long week (8 or 9 days?) to be living in a hotel.  A beautiful hotel...complete with spas, restaurants, bars, classes....none of which we are experiencing!  Cory did suggest that me and Claire and Grace should check out "ladies night" at one of the swanky clubs...I think we would really bring a whole new take to that party!   While Cory and I are a little stir crazy, Carter and Claire seem to really like it.  I think they believe they are living like "The Suite Life of Zack and Cody!"  What I've loved about being here so long is the difference in the staff responses from the beginning of the week until now.  They are our friends, we know their names and we talk regularly in the lobby and restaurant.  Many who made faces at Grace, now come and speak to not only us, but her, and stoop down to take her hand or talk to her.  We catch them smiling (during crazy dance!) and we have learned bits and pieces about their lives.  I want to remember Carter's friend who gave him the warrior statue.  They had their picture taken together last night after dinner.  He wanted it on his camera too.  There was such a sweetness there.  I want to remember Tony, (not his real name) who sees us at breakfast every morning, grabs coffee and a high chair and gets our children things before they even ask.  We talk and tell him how great he is (coffee and high chair go a long way)  and he seems to be fond of us.  Starting the week with so many distanced stares and ending with friends.  Friends who see Grace for the beauty she is and for what she has to offer.  They have watched Cory and I feed her a thousand different ways, sticking our hands in her little mouth to give food and swipe stuck food out.  As much as we aren't phased by it, I think it has taught them to embrace it too.  I want to remember the Chinese business man, in his 60's that stopped me getting orange juice the other day.  He wanted to have a conversation, which is unusual.  He said, "Adoption?"  I said yes, and then explained in English with many hand gestures that we love her, think she is beautiful, will help her mouth and that she is ours.  He looked at me straight in the eyes and smiled and said, "Very good.  Very very good."  It was a simple conversation but profound to my heart.  I want to remember it.

I want to remember yesterday, how we ventured out on our last day by ourselves.  Took a taxi that did not take us where we wanted to go.  Spotted a landmark that we knew and trekked to that spot, through the Muslim quarter again, getting our picture taken from riders on a bus.  None of us were scared at all and it was once again, amusing.  We just wanted tea and for some reason, it has eluded us, despite all of our research!  Maybe in the next city...:) 
In the Muslim market, we saw a little boy being pulled on a cart low to the ground with sad music being played.  He was obviously sick or dying and this was his family member's way of raising money from what we could tell.  That picture is etched in my mind and we have talked about it with Carter and Claire since then.  We prayed for him last night...such a stark image and a reminder of the lives lived here and in many places around the world.
We managed to find a familiar location and get a taxi back to the hotel.  It made me laugh that this was the time when Cory was trying to barter.  (Not a good time in my opinion but it was funny!)  Despite his best efforts, we are pretty sure we got "taken" but at least "taken" back to our surroundings!


We love this and it keeps cracking us up!  Claire hijacked the Iphone and we have several of her homemade secret videos and songs.  This one is a song written about taking down Carter...only a sister could pen these lyrics.  Check out her awesome beat box too!


Crazy dancing in the lobby!


Carter and his "buddy" in the lobby.

So, we leave today with thankful hearts and with a passport and papers for our new daughter.  So glad she is coming with us to our next stop!

3 comments:

  1. I admit right now, I'm a blog stalker. I probably check this link 3-4 times a day looking for my Barnett update!
    Jen, I have completely loved reading about your journey! It's like Bill B. said, though; I have to wait until I'm in a place where I can focus & potentially laugh & cry at the same time. :)
    You know what I can't wait to see? When your crazy Grace & Will get together! They are going to be something else!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this entry. I have looked so forward to reading about your journey, especially about the incredible experience it has been for Carter and Claire. You are a family that clearly shows and shares God's grace and I'm thankful I met you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Almost there! I pray these next few days are enjoyable yet fast! Loving your blog posts still and so grateful to our awesome God who has given Grace the peace and joy to trust her new family. Sounds like she's fitting right in perfectly. It's only going to get better!!!

    ReplyDelete