Sunday, November 11, 2012

Cory's take...

I (Cory) have to admit that I feel completely out of my skin "blogging"...see I even needed to put blogging in quotes to qualify that I am not a blogger.  I personally have immensely enjoyed Jen's blogs and find myself looking forward to them each day.  We have also appreciated all the comments, emails, and facebook comments--it really highlights how much of a community effort this journey is and how our family and friends are such a part of it--in many ways we are all adopting sweet Grace.  At Jen's prodding, I have reluctantly agreed to try my hand at the blog and jot down a few thoughts that I want to remember from this precious trip:

Grace's face.
Her cleft is pretty impressive.  Her two front teeth are completely in your face and sideways.  She trumps anyone you know with "summer teeth".   We couldn't tell from the pictures beforehand the scope of the cleft, but having seen several now--especially when we visited Grace's old home, her's is pretty dramatic.  To be completely honest, though, it never really bothered me even from the beginning.   We are just jumping "all-in" with my sweet Grace (especially eating!).  I have watched Jen and Carter and Claire do it, too.  The funny thing is, even after only 6 days, I hardly even see it anymore when I look at her.  I love her little, round face.  Her sweet face has given me perspective on a few things and has broken my heart when I think of little girl's everywhere, especially those waiting for moms and dads:

     1. Every little girl deserves to feel beautiful
     2.  Every little girl deserves to have a daddy that thinks she is beautiful.

I think she is so beautiful...




My travel companions.
This has been a sweet trip even more than getting Grace.

  1. To begin with, Carter and Claire have left exceeded every expectation to their flexibility, maturity, endurance, and just fun on this at what can at times be a very arduous trip.  They have stepped up every time.  They are trying foods, walking miles, bartering with the locals.  They engage people, hug strangers, and LOVE Grace.  I have seen Carter weep (WEEP) twice now over the plight of the orphans.  Claire has decided she is going to work at orphanage when she grows up.  I heard Claire recounting our itinerary in detail..Beijing--Xi'an---Ghuangzhou...I marvel at their capacity.  Yesterday we were squashed on the metro with a billion Chinese people like sardines and my kids were just smiling and looking out for each other and for ME.  I don't think there is much better we could have done for them as parents than bring them on this trip. The best part, though, the part I want to remember the most, is that for the first time, I have really seen them as my friends.  I have genuinely enjoyed their travel companionship.  As we sit and eat meals, the four of us have just talked and laughed.  As we walk through the streets or the supermarket, obviously the minority, being stared at or being taken pictures of, I have looked them in the eyes and there is an unsaid acknowledgement that we are on the same team or in the same club...and it's kind of fun doing it together.
  2.  My other travel companion has also left me pretty speechless.  Clearly, she is going to be a great mom to Grace.  Jen has always, for all of our kids, been able to lay down her life for them.  She has always been selfless in putting the needs and affections of our children before her own.  She has given up the spotlight, hobbies, rest, sleep, and many, many personal commodities for the sake of her family.  I am already seeing it for sweet Grace--but to me that was always a given.  I think the real miracle, the thing that I have been marveling at the whole time we have been in China, is the DRAMATICALLY different person Jen is than she was 10 years ago.  Everything about China highlights the dramatic difference.  Without going into detail, Jen used to be a fearful person--someone who never wanted to leave home.  We traveled to Europe in 2001 and she could barely get on the airplane (picture BA Baracus, A-Team, 1980s).  None of that exists anymore.  We have been in the most out-of control scenarios you can imagine on this trip...from being packed in a van with a brand new adopted baby in the middle of urban China stuck at a train crossing to trying crazy new foods in the Muslim quarter of Xi'an China.  Over the past decade, I have seen the evolution of her freedom from fear and it is real, it is a miracle, and could have only been accomplished by a supernatural God who came expressly to set the captives free. I am not exaggerating here--she is a different person. She is now willing to take fun risks, barter down the Chinese nationals for a good deal (she is much better than me--I almost bartered away Carter without realizing it), and if push comes to shove, she will bring down China in order to get Grace home.  God must have had Grace in mind as he brought Jen into this freedom...He new she would need to bring Grace home.


Travel Companions:

Two companions with our guide Xiao Dan or "Krystal"


Jen getting us some tasty roadside treats


A funny taxi video


Jen teaching Grace a new toy



Adoption Leading.

The sweetest revelation occurred the night before we "got" Grace.  I woke up about 4 AM--part in excitement, part in anxiety, part from the jet-lag.  Carter was sleeping soundly in the bed next to me.  I could hear Claire and Jen in the other bed also asleep.  I pulled up the Gospel of John on my iphone, and read where Jesus says, "The sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.  When he has brought out all his own, he goes before them, and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice.  A stranger they will not follow, but they will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers".  The "thought" occurred to me,  "Do you think the sheep always know what their Shepherd is saying?  Or do they just recognize the sound of his voice and go in that direction?" I realized then, while at times I have clearly heard and understand exactly what the Shepherd is saying, much of the time I just hear the familiar call of his voice and "walk in his way".  This has been our adoption journey--we hear the Shepherd calling and we have followed and before we know it, we turn around and we are in China and we have this sweet gift who my heart is already bursting with love for.

The shepherd really does love us.



Also,  I really miss my buddy Will...but he is having a good time with MawMaw and PawPaw:

A late "Avenger" birthday party (It's actually PawPaw's birthday)


Pirate day with cousins Isabel and Samuel







7 comments:

  1. Cory I am glad you were 'blogger' for a day. Excellent work. You are an amazing dad and it shines through in all you do and in all the stories we hear. Grace and your whole family are blessed to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to hear from baba! Lucy and I watched the videos together. She liked seeing Grace put on her lipstick, as we pretend to do that every day! You guys are doing such a wonderful job. So good to see you all together. And you're right - this girl needs to know her daddy loves her! And she is absolutely gorgeous!!! I don't see a thing wrong with that beautiful face. Praying still for you all. The Garden won't be home but you're gonna love it there! Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you finally earned your "new blogger" cotton candy, Cory. ;) Thanks for stepping out and writing this - Jen's writing is great and so is yours! Enjoyed your perspective.

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have been reading every day and loving following you on your journey! We had so many common experiences when we were there, and reading your account makes us feel like we are there with you! I am so glad we took J. Paul with us, and although he was only 4, he remembers all the wonderful experiences we had in China meeting his little sis for the first time. It was important for both of them to share those two weeks.

    And I thought "blogging" felt weird, too. Ha. I am so glad I did it though. So many details I am glad I wrote down at the time they were happening. It was a great thing to do.

    Can't wait to meet Grace and hear Carter and Claire's in-person retelling of your adventures. We'll be praying for the rest of your trip to go well and a safe, easy trip home.

    Hugs!! sm

    ReplyDelete
  5. The toy video with Jen is my favorite - Grace has such a fun personality already! And Jen, you're doing a great job teaching her. Patient, in control, and totally having fun yourself - I can tell=) Keep those videos coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Claire,

    Oh my goodness! I miss you so much. I love reading about your time in China. I haven't missed one single word on this blog.

    Thank you for doing FaceTime with us last week. We LOVED seeing your sweet face. Thank you for staying up late so that we could visit!

    We are very busy in school this week as we are getting ready for Thanksgiving. As your teacher, I have one assignment for you. I would like for you to learn our entire Classroom Promise in Chinese and recite it to us when you get back. Deal? Just kidding, Claire.

    Please continue to have so much fun in China and we can't wait to see you back at school after Thanksgiving! Give big hugs to Grace and the rest of your sweet family.

    xoxoxoxo,
    Mrs. Hodges

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cory, so good to hear your daddy-heart! I think that leopard-seat scooter had your name written all over it. :) Love you all so much!
    Rach

    ReplyDelete