Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Paperwork and Little Tigers

Cory and I didn't sleep much last night.  Not because of Grace...she did amazingly well.  Started the night by choice in her crib next to the bed and then around 2am, woke up scared and joined me in the bed.  It took her a while to settle, because the little party girl kept trying to play.  When she finally laid down into a deep sleep, it was sound and all I could think about was her next steps and getting that little nose and mouth fixed so she could breath better.  No, Cory and I were awake thinking about the events that took place today.  Today was a big paperwork day and a lot of money changed hands.  Things had to be "just so" and we were concerned about what would be lost in translation.  Our guide here is very sweet, but very young and we struggle with certain phrases and statements.  God is good, because when we met her in the lobby, she was accompanied by another older guide who was obviously in charge today.  I'm going to bet our agency worker had something to do with it...we never complained but when we spoke to her about a room reservation mix up and the fact that our guide was unaware that we had wired several thousand dollars to China already for today, I think she took care of it!  Go Bay Area Adoption Services!
It is rainy and cool here today and it was a stressful morning leaving the lobby as both guides were checking our papers and Grace was not happy.  She is typically pretty happy, but we had just done our first "mad dash" poop diaper change on a marble lobby restroom counter that was not designed for the job.  I think I actually thanked God that I had changed so many diapers in my time thus far and could pull it off without pooping up the white leggings.  Grace wasn't so impressed but someday, she will be!
So, we made the drive to the government office, hiked up 6 flights of stairs and began the process.  The office is old and dirty and the building looks as though not only the elevators were out, but heat and power too.  Nonetheless, we began with handing out fees, signing things in Chinese that we had to trust  said what our translators said they did.  Signing some more, finger printing and being interviewed.  The whole thing was a bit overwhelming to us both.  Just me and Cory.  Not our kids.  At one point I glanced over and Carter and Claire (who are simply amazing...I don't mean to brag here, but they have totally stepped up on this trip...some really boring time slots where they draw, write or play the DS game system....parents should totally bless their kids when appropriate and even when not!) and they were surrounded by other workers in the office as they explained their games and let them watch.  Moments later, as we were finishing questions with the notary, I look over and Grace and Claire (2 peas in a pod) are playing "tigers" on the floor.  Sweet Grace can't say much because of her mouth, but she can make sounds and is awesome at mimicking pitch.  I say I look over but I actually heard growling first.  From both of them, as they crawled back and forth across the floor (no more clean white leggings!) growling and being tigers.  I got tickled and so did Cory and I even saw smiles on some of the very serious office worker faces.  All of a sudden, it didn't matter anymore.  We have Grace and today was just one more step to solidify that process.  The stress left (along with our cash) and it was fine.  Have a view of these fierce and beautiful tigers....







Another treasured moment that happened today occurred when the orphanage nurse came by the office to pick up her portion of the money for the welfare institute (where Grace was raised).  She was one of the ladies who had given her to us yesterday.  As she was leaving, she stopped and called to Grace who was about 5 feet away.  I was across the room with Carter and Claire and Cory was a couple of steps behind Grace.  The nurse called out to her using her Chinese name (Lan Lan) and made motions for her to come tell her bye (even though we are visiting tomorrow).  I stopped, because in my heart, it felt like a test.  I knew that we couldn't fail it either way and was honestly OK with however Grace wanted to respond.  Grace looked at the nurse (with a look we believe said, "this is not who I am anymore) and turned completely around with arms up to her Daddy.  Cory picked her up and as the nurse left the room I heard him say to Grace with his face really close to hers, "That's right baby.  You don't ever have to go back.  You are with us now."  My heart sang.

After that office, we went to what I believe was a passport office for Grace.  Then, to a baby store to get a stroller and more bibs!  Eating is full contact with Grace, food is on her, us, and up her nose and everywhere in between.  It is not for the faint of heart or stomach! :)  Again, I think it was because of our super awesome kids, but they gave us free gifts!  Some cool plates for my big kids and some plastic balls for Grace (who has a killer arm!).

Grace is napping right now...she has taken several cat naps in the van today on my lap which I have loved.  Let's hope that happens on the return flight home! :)  My adventure kids and husband have trekked out on their own in search of groceries and decent restaurants.   We plan to swim (likely not Grace but we'll see) later and are PUMPED about face timing Mrs. Hodges and Mrs. Gerner's  classes tomorrow after we see the orphanage.  We still have several days here in Xi'an and if you are the praying type, please pray that they go fast!  We are ready to go home or at least get to the last cities in our travels.  Homesickness sets in and we are determined not to go stir crazy in the hotel (although very nice) by doing something each day.  Difficult to do in a very crowded city in the middle of China with kids, but we are determined to make time pass well.   We are also struggling with eating lunch and dinner.  We eat a huge international breakfast but the cuisine here is very different from Beijing and likely from Hong Kong too.  We have tried to be bold here and there but it turns our stomach a bit!  So, my adventurers have gone hunting for food as Grace sleeps and I update!  Oh, we did watch clips from the election today.  We tend to try and honor the person in office whether or not we agree or disagree.  I can say that even after being here about a week,  China is great but America is special.  We love the Chinese people but are so very thankful for our country.  All of us.  America has failed on several levels but I am still ready to go back to it.  We are proud of our country and hope we represent it well.  And hope that we can affect our small corner of it to make positive and lasting change.  For Carter, for Claire, for William and for Grace's sake.

This was funny, too, watching Grace in the mirror...


4 comments:

  1. We keep watching the videos and I cry everytime! I can't wait to meet her!!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. such sweet videos. seeing her toddle around just makes me think how lucky you are to have met her so young - i will never have memories of my two and their baby noises and new steps. i am ok with that but moments like this, seeing a chinese baby with her new mama, i miss that time in my little ones' lives. so cherish it! even the poopy diapers! she needs you in ways that only a baby does and that's special! (no poopy diapers is also special, but you know what i mean ;). )

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful blog and what an incredible journey you guys are on! Thank you so much for sharing all the details, even the painful and difficult moments. One more week and you all will be flying HOME where there are so many people waiting with open arms and full hearts. There is a certain little girl who can't wait to meet Grace! Maya has watched your videos countless times and says she can't wait until Grace and Claire come back home. She will be thrilled to know there is a new video to watch! Much love and many prayers for you all! By the way, you were born to blog girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the kiss in the mirror!! I'm praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete